1. To set a Fenn trap, use your thumbs to open the jaws and engage the safety hook.
2. As shown in the photo above, place your thumb in the loop (A) and fingers under the base (B). With your right thumb also on bar (C) and fingers under the spring (D), squeeze with both hands to fully open the jaws and swing the safety
hook (E) over bar (C) and then place trigger (F) into the notch (G) on the pressure plate.
3. With the safety in place, both hands are free to adjust the trap. TAKE CARE NOT TO DISENGAGE THE SAFETY HOOK (E).
4. Dig a hole large enough to place the trap in so that the top of the trap is flush with the ground level (bottom photo).
5. When setting is complete disengage the safety hook (E).
6. Place the tunnel cover over the trap.
7. Place a few grains of maize or wheat under the trap plate.
8. Leave the Fenn trap set all the time.
9. The Fenn trap is designed to break the animals spine and kill immediately, they should always be used within a purpose designed tunnel, natural or artificial or placed well back within the mouth of a burrow.
1: Place the trap on the ground and hold it down with your foot or knee. Unhook the outer arm of the torsion spring from its hook/catch situated just above the trap entrance.
2: This done pick up the trap, undo the swing catch on the access panel to the left of the trap (looking at it from the front) and remove the panel, it will lift out.
3: If you wish to place bait or scent attractant behind the mesh panel, or elsewhere inside the trap body, do so now.
4: Push strike bar/internal spring to the back of trap behind the “dog” which is a heavy wire that hangs down from trigger assembly.
5: With the strike bar/internal spring arm held against the roof, lift the dog upwards, thus trapping the spring and fit the end of the dog into the blind hole in the trigger suspension arm. The strike bar/internal spring is now held against the trap roof.
6: The trap is now primed but not finally cocked/set
7: Re-fit the side panel/door and lock back into position.
8: Place the trap back on the ground/floor, as in instruction No.1 and reset the outer spring arm into its hook/catch.
9: The trap is now cocked/set.
10: If the trap is being set on a tree or side of house/building, then use the trap hanging loops and hang it from two nails/screws. If setting on a tree a small ratchet type strap may be used instead. Do not try to set/un-set the trap while on tree or building – always set/cock trap while on ground.
11: Traps need to be stable. Animals are reluctant to enter unstable traps.
Be aware that this trap will cause severe injury to your fingers and hands if not handled with care.
Always use a tunnel on your trap and protect form non target species at all times.
All of the killer spring traps are set differently and care needs to be taken to avoid trapped fingers and possible broken bones.
DO NOT DRY FIRE THIS TRAP
1: Place the trap on the ground with the trigger mechanism facing away from you and push the trap up against your knees.
2: Place both hands on top of the trap with your thumbs on the killing bar.
3: Push the killing bar all the way down to the bottom making sure the safety and trigger catches are back out of the way.
3.1: Engage the safety catch onto the killing bar.
4: Push the killing bar down and bring over the trigger catch with your forefinger and with your middle finger lift the trigger plate and engage the trigger.
5: The trap is now set.
6: Remember to remove the safety catch before departing.
Elgeeco Setting Instructions - PDF